July 11, 2012
Close More Sales This Summer with Top Closing Techniques
By: Adams Hudson
Ever feel like you’re a professional presenter? You know, going into home after home, watching homeowners nod in agreement, being friendly, and asking you to “Leave your quote. We need to think about it.”
Somehow, they never quite finish thinking about it, or when they do, they’ve decided to buy from someone else.
Since the average HVAC sales closing ratio is 32%, that leaves 68% who do just that. Yet the vast majority does buy something, and sadly, they may be using your bid as a negotiating tool or for comparison. So you did the work; someone else gets paid.
There are 3 parts of a sales visit: The presentation, the proposal, and the close. The presentation sets up the others and vastly improves your closing ratio, but it’s at the close that even great presenters get jittery.
Here’s how you boost your closing ratio:
1)The Presentation is when you gather the info you’ll need to close. This is generally done with a “Home Energy Survey” (do not ever call it an estimate!) The answers to specific comfort and price questions then go to “build” the prospect’s new system. You’ll use Trial Closes at this point to gauge interest, and a powerful Presentation Binder to allay fears and make comparisons to other products, even competitors. (Yes, I said competitors. This is the most effective way to overcome shopping and build your credibility.)
2) The Proposal is where you “reframe” the prospect’s exact answers and put them on your proposal form. (Your form had better be like a “sales script” and not some generic form that only you can follow. Fill it with guarantees, benefits, and comfort statements. It’s best to show the prospect a “good, better, best” approach to pricing, with “best” clearly being a superior choice. Then you go right into…
3) The Close. If you’ve done your presentation properly, you eliminated the objections on “thinking about it”, “price is too high” and “our system works fine”, so the close is natural. The Return on Investment close is one of my favorites. You simply state that,
“Mr. Prospect, you’ve already seen that this new comfort system will solve your repair problems – in fact, our company will discount this system by the price of your last repair so that won’t be thrown away – plus you won’t have another repair bill to worry about for 5 solid years. Your new system will also solve the comfort problems you’d mentioned in the Home Survey, so your enjoyment, satisfaction, and property value will all increase. But there’s something we haven’t discussed yet…
“The investment you’re making is paying you back. If my figures are correct since we guarantee this system will cut your entire energy bill by 20%, it is actually paying you a return on investment of 6.2% in pure energy savings! And we guarantee it in writing. That’s better than any savings account I know, and those won’t heat and cool your home!
“Since you know that each day you delay costs you more, and we have a system your size in stock, doesn’t it make sense to start saving now?”
As mentioned, this is just one of about 17 closes that our top HVAC consultants recommend, so there are many ways to close using logic and emotion, which is important. People buy on emotional reasons, but want logic to support those reasons. A perfectly crafted sales close does both.
Sure, there are those who “want a deal” and balk at anything resembling list price. (Wonder how they pay their accountants?) Anyway, you can close a negotiator usually with one question. When they say, “Your system price is $4680. Will you take $4500?”
Only if you know you can accept this price do you say, “If I can accept that, do you want to schedule the installation?” You see, there are always ways to trim the fluff out without sounding rude or pushy and end up getting the sale.
Present your solution as a service to prospects, and close on the strength of those solutions. If a prospect doesn’t close on the first attempt, you can leave them a “Best Value or $100 Cash Guarantee” form which also guarantees a call back to you for another try. Generally, those who get called back get the job. Good selling!
Adams Hudson is president of Hudson, Ink “Creative Marketing that Works.” His company creates a full line of marketing tools for contractors including Customer Retention newsletters, “turn-key” Marketing PowerPacks and custom copywriting. You can get a free subscription to his “Sales & Marketing Insider” by faxing your letterhead to 334-262-1115 with the request. Also check out www.hudsonink.com on the web for free marketing tips or call 1-800-489-9099 for more info.
PHCC Educational Foundation .
You Can Support the Foundation by making a contribution.
Visit the Articles & Advice Center for Links to past articles.
Please Sign in to rate this.