Attract. Train. Retain. Gain.
Attracting & Training Top Industry Talent:
What Can You Do Now?
The projected worker shortage in the p-h-c industry is staggering. According to PHCC, the trades will need 21 percent more plumbers and 21 percent more HVAC technicians by 2022 … in addition to replacing workers who retire!
Many companies already are facing problems finding qualified workers, and there are more challenges to come. PHCC and the PHCC Educational Foundation have implemented a special task force to assess ways p-h-c businesses can attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers. In the meantime, here are some suggestions on how you can develop the workforce you need … now and in the future.
Things you can do in your area!
- Share your passion with local schools: lead a Career Day presentation and spark an interest in a student who hadn’t considered a plumbing or HVACR career; head a discussion on trade occupations at a PTA or PTO meeting; establish a co-op plumbing program in your local high school.
- Talk with school officials about the importance of career and technical education.
- Mentor students of all ages; start with your local Scouting troops (Boy Scouts of America offers merit trade badges, including plumbing, welding, drafting, and – coming soon – HVAC; learn more at www.meritbadge.org).
- Invite students and young adults to “shadow” you for a day to get a real-life perspective of a “day in the life” of a p-h-c professional.
- Partner with your local community and technical colleges on developing a shared vision for student outcomes and collaborating on both curriculum and instructor training.
- Bring industry partners into the conversation; work with manufacturers, wholesalers, etc. on establishing a relationship with a school by donating equipment, materials, or classroom assistance time.
- Educate your elected officials about the critical need for Career and Technical Education (CTE) and workforce program funding; call their offices or write a letter.
- Use social media. This popular marketing platform is a great way to promote why people should consider choosing the p-h-c profession – education alternatives, solid wages, comfortable living, contributions to public health and safety, opportunities for hands-on work, emerging high-tech possibilities, etc. When possible, add photos and video for added impact.
- Promote technology in the trade. Heightened energy efficiency standards have dictated even more high-tech products and tools in the industry, perfectly suited to today’s young people.
- Show career growth opportunities; the construction industry not only presents prospects for business management and ownership but encompasses multiple career paths, such as accounting and marketing, even technical writing and law.
- Support and tap into the PHCC Educational Foundation’s scholarship program, this year awarding $77,500 in scholarships to apprentices or students entering a course of study directly related to the p-h-c industry.
The PHCC Educational Foundation has proven tools designed to help contractors train the next generation of skilled workers.
Put these resources to work for you:
- A complete four-year series of plumbing and HVACR textbooks (using Dept. of Labor-approved curriculum); also available in eBook format.
- A four-year plumbing and HVACR online eLearning program designed for students who cannot attend a traditional classroom setting.
- A series of plumbing assessment tests for each year of apprenticeship in a traditional four-year program; also can be used as an entry-level journeyman test.
- Plumbing and HVACR competitions, including SkillsUSA (www.skillsusa.org) and the PHCC Educational Foundation’s popular apprentice contests at the annual CONNECT conference.
- An instructor training program: the HVACR & Mechanical Conference for Education Professionals.
For more information, visit http://foundation.phccweb.org/.
Once you recruit and train skilled workers, how do you keep them?
- Make sure your company has the perfect system for employee development and the right type of work environment to keep new and existing employees.
- Serve your community … because you’re a part of that community; get involved in local charities and needs, and model that commitment to your employees.
- Share your craft with the next generation, and pass on the traditions and pride built in this trade!
WE ALL GAIN!
You have the power to keep our industry strong, but you must get involved!
A little work goes a long way in protecting you, your company, your family, your future. Start attracting and preparing the next generation of skilled workers … today!
PHCC and the PHCC Educational Foundation can provide everything you need to get started … plus watch for new strategies and tools coming soon.
Visit www.phccweb.org, or e-mail email@example.com to find out more about PHCC!
- Three Students Take Home Top Honors in PHCC Educational Foundation’s HVAC Apprentice Contest
- PHCC Educational Foundation Announces Winners Of Popular Plumbing Apprentice Contest
- $85,000 in PHCC Educational Foundation Scholarships Now Available
- PIPETECHS Plumbing Technology Earns 2016 PHCC Safety Award