Bringing Order to Chaos
Tips from Fall 2015 CCA Meeting
October 27, 2015
New construction business owners got a hefty lesson in life and business management at PHCC’s Construction Contractors’ Alliance’s (CCA’s) fall meeting in San Francisco last week. During a session focused on “Getting Things Done – The Art of Stress-Free Productivity®,” CCA members learned best practices on how to free up the mind to not only be more present and more relaxed but solve problems faster. The recommended process followed these steps: Capture, Clarify, Organize, Reflect, Engage.
Here are some sample tips to “bring order to chaos:”
- Turn off e-mail notifications.
- Follow two-minute rule when reviewing email: Do it, delegate it, or defer it.
- Develop a “shared agreement” in your office on the desired response time for emails. This will reduce the perceived need to respond immediately to every email.
- Schedule a Weekly Review to catch up on your email, review your projects, and identify next actions.
- Let your brain “archive” by doing something relaxing like taking a walk, reading a book, sleeping, etc. Our brains are not set up to multitask; they need a break!