How to Be Remarkable on Yelp
Most contractors don’t realize that Yelp is a social network – and perhaps the most important social network of all to the health of your business. If you approach it that way, and follow some simple rules, you can absolutely crush it!
Mike Montano, a highly respected authority in trust marketing, review management, and online reputation and the author of Stop Marketing, Be Remarkable!, stresses that “trust is the new trend in ‘Search.’” During his recent webinar to PHCC members, Montano explained why Yelp matters more than ever, illustrating how Any Tyme (professional plumbing, HVAC, and electrical services) went from 3 to 4 stars in 30 days … and realized a 350 percent increase in leads from December 2013 to December 2014!
Among Montano’s strategies for being remarkable on Yelp:
- Become one with your customer. Cater to their habits and social media usage.
- Get involved and know the “power of one.” Your employees will witness the power of their good deeds with positive online reviews.
- Try these Yelp tactics:
- Create your own Yelp account and invite your friends.
- Invite your Yelp friends to use your service and ask them to write a review.
- Make sure your Yelp e-mail goes to a distribution list, so everyone is aware when a good or bad review comes in.
- Always respond to Yelp reviews, both negative and positive.
- For negative reviews, respond publicly, keep it brief, and be contrite (not emotional); leave a private message with your cell phone number; and make sure you call (remember, this is your customer!).
Montano also offered members advice on five things to never, ever do on Yelp:
- Don’t ask friends to write reviews on your account unless you’ve done business together.
- Don’t move too aggressively when generating reviews.
- Never, ever respond emotionally.
- Never question the customer’s opinion.
- Don’t ask for a review from a Yelper unless you know they’re active on Yelp.
Find out more … including how to “build trust before service” and develop a personalized review portfolio. This winning webinar is still available to PHCC members here.
Keep in mind that PHCC’s Educational Foundation webinars are FREE to all members. Check out our full library of webinars here, available for on-demand viewing at your convenience!