How to Hire A-Team Players
In an engaging keynote presentation at PHCC’s Construction Contractors’ Alliance fall meeting, Eric Herrenkohl shared his proven strategies on how to find, recruit, nurture, and retain the best and the brightest players for your team. Among his ideas:
- Think of yourself as “Recruiter in Chief” for your company.
- Look for people who are aspirational and want to succeed.
- Create an A-Team Player Profile that incorporates your values and expectations.
- Remember that coaching, development, training are crucial.
- Build your network to identify qualified people.
- Be sure to check personal references before hiring anyone.
- Build a bench of talent so you can weed out C Players, especially the toxic ones. “The cost of toxic people is always more than we think it is,” he says. Then, determine if any B-Team Players can develop into A-Team Players.