Mobile Site / Find a Contractor / PHCC Store / Buyers' Guide / Request Information / FAQ / Contact Us
Fall Congressional Forecast:
Health Care, Debt, Taxes and More
With the Congressional recess almost over, what can we expect in terms of issues and legislative actions for the next session of the 113th Congressional cycle?
- Health Care Reform – expect more aggressive actions to delay (and defund) provisions of the upcoming health care law.
- Debt Ceiling – expect a battle in the House and Senate. Congress must pass funding measures this fall in order to fund the government, and the debt ceiling will be a part of those debates. This becomes politically sensitive as the leadership in the House must appeal to the minority in the House to possibly pass a budget deal.
- Death Taxes – there will be strong House movement on repeal of the death tax. The Senate will offer amendments to existing legislation to repeal the death tax, but will fall short.
- EPA will begin to draft regulatory language to expand the lead paint rule for commercial and public buildings.
- Several bills in the House and Senate will move that seek to require federal agencies be held more accountable for overly burdensome regulations.
- Believe it or not, House and Senate campaigns will be in full swing. This will be especially true for the Senate as Republicans are confident they can take control