PHCC Academy: Student and Employer Responsibilities
Both students and employers are expected to meet certain obligations and responsibilities as part of PHCC Academy.
Students enrolled in PHCC Academy courses are expected to meet the following responsibilities:
- Complete work in a timely manner.
- Read all information and assignments within the learning management system before starting the course.
- Complete all tests in this course as closed-book. Students are on the honor system.
- Complete all assignments with a passing grade of 70 percent or higher. In the case of a score lower than 70 percent, the assignment will be reset and the student must resubmit it until a passing grade is earned.
- Complete the course in 1 year (12 months). Extensions to the course are available in 6 month increments for an additional fee of $250 per 6 months and must be requested before the course expiration date. If the student does not complete the program, he/she forfeits all money paid for the program and receives no credit for the portion completed.
- Maintain records of on-the-job training completed.
Employers of students enrolled in PHCC Academy courses are apprenticeship sponsors and have specific obligations for ensuring the success of their apprentices:
- Ensure that all students enrolled are proficient in reading and writing in English at a high school level and possess the self-motivation to complete internet-based coursework.
- Registering apprentices with the U.S. Department of Labor, either through your own apprenticeship program or through your PHCC State Chapter Partner's registered apprenticeship program.
- Track the apprentice's on-the-job training hours and document such hours. Documentation records must be maintained by the employer for the duration of the apprentice's employment and must be retained as required by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Ensure that apprentices are paid a progressively increasing schedule of wages and fringe benefits based on a percentage of the current journey worker wage rate as specified in the Standards of Apprenticeship for the program under which the apprentice is participating.